Confused by lesson ...

Notifications
Clear all

😲 Use tags in your posts so everyone can find topics they're interested in! Learn about them here "Forum Basics" (<-- click here)!

[Solved] Confused by lesson plan?

1 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hey y'all. Absolute beginner here. I'm finding the lesson plan a bit confusing. I've watched all the primers and was getting it with the embrochure, buzzing and air flow lessons but I completely lost track on the intonation lesson. Am I missing something? I saw lessons about intonation and tonguing and slurring right after those but I still have no idea how to even form a tone consistently. Is this course not meant to be this basic? Just felt like an entire section on how to actually produce even the most basic of tones is missing.

Thank you!

1 Answer

Hi Ivan,

Welcome and thank you for your feedback. So here are solutions and some explanations for your current challenges. 

The Intonation lesson in beginner phase 2 is too advanced for a total beginner. That’s why it’s in phase 2. But that’s okay! That’s why I’m here 🙂

Most beginners have a hard time keeping a note steady. This is due to underdeveloped facial muscles. In other words, the embouchure is weak. So, how do we strengthen the embouchure? With long tones. You main focus right now should be on long tones, daily, twice or thrice a day if possible. Play along with me in the long tone training video here https://www.trumpetheadquarters.com/trumpet-lessons-online/long-tones-training/. When you can play along with that video and match me to the best of your ability then you’ll really be on your way.

Attached is an audio file with some more thoughts and tips for you.

2 questions for you:

1. How long have you been playing? How long of that time consistently, say 4 or 5 days a week?
  2. What mouthpiece are you playing on?

Let’s keep this communication going so I can guide you as needed.

Best, 

Estela