Embouchure with vis...

Notifications
Clear all

😲 Use tags in your posts so everyone can find topics they're interested in! Learn about them here "Forum Basics" (<-- click here)!

[Solved] Embouchure with visualizer

12 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter

Hi everybody,

I would like to show you how my embouchure, for the moment, looks like, see attached video.

1. First of all lick your lips and also the rim on your visualizer.
  2. "Spitting seed". You can see how the apperture opens in the video.
  3. Say "B" like the beginning of the word "B-eautiful".
  4. Place the visualizer directly over the center of your lips. Put it where you get the strongest buzz.
  5. Make sure that the rim isn't on the red part of the lips.
  6. As you can see, for me, I have about 2/3 upper and 1/3 lower.
  7. Now try to buzz the Swedish song (Gubben Noak), in english "Old Man Noah".

Best Wishes!

Ulf

7 Answers

Hi Ulf,

Looks like this setup really works for you. 2/3 upper is okay if it works for you. Better extra upper than extra lower! Looks great, sounds great. Keep it up. I actually have no comments!

-Esttela

Topic starter

Hi Estela,

Unfortunately this embouchure isn't optimal for me. I can't comfortable reach the upper range. There is a ceiling which I don't come through.

Instead forming an embouchure according to Cai Isfryn recommendation seems optimal for me.

Now the mouthpiece placement is about 50%/50% as you recommend.

Step by step procedure forming the M face embouchure  is as follows:

Step1, Humming Mmmmm.......... Corners tight.

Step 2, Change from humming Mmmmmmm to air.

Step 3, Add the mouthpiece.

Step 4, Add the trumpet.

Every day I practice your training program for beginners and I also play Elmers warm up exercises.

Thereafter I play Vincent Chicowitz Flow Studies.

Best Wishes

Ulf 😋 

TrumpetHeadquarters 14/01/2022 6:39 pm

@fly I like that a lot, but I'd love to see a video so I can hear you and see you play some flexibility exercise and flow studies. Feel free to upload something at your earliest convenience!
-Estela

Topic starter

Hi Estela, 

Do you think it is ok to set the embouchure for G in the middle?

/Ulf 

TrumpetHeadquarters 17/01/2022 5:21 pm

@fly Generally YES. My setup is smack in the middle for everything. But a lot of players play differently, it depends a lot on your teeth formation, lip size etc. I hope that helps!

Topic starter

Hi Estela, attached you find videos where I'm training with my new embouchure.

I'm using a new plastic hytech trumpet because I'm training a lot and my b cornet is rather heavy so therefore I got pain in my shoulder. The mouthpiece is traditional Plus 2 by Monette. The mouthpiece is expensive and cost more than twice the cost of the plastic trumpet.

Because of the file size I will send the attached files seperately.

I'm sorry for my bad English.

Best Wishes

Ulf

FLY Topic starter 18/01/2022 1:22 pm

Unfortunately it is'nt possible to upload files despite the files are smaller than 256 MB.
/FLY

Testing file upload. Can you see this Ulf? If so, try emptying your browser's history/cache/cookies, sign in to the website again and try to leave a video. I know you've left them before so I know you know how to. Let's try that!

-Estela

FLY Topic starter 21/01/2022 2:54 pm

@trumpetheadquarters
I really like your trumpet playing.
It will be nice if you play "Trumpet Volontary"
Best Wishes
Ulf

Topic starter

Hi Estela,

Attached you see a video showing how I set my embouchure and an attempt to production of sound.

The set of embouchure is as follows:

• whistle
  • retain the forward position of the lips
  • change the air to a Mmmmm....

/Ulf

TrumpetHeadquarters 07/02/2022 9:37 pm

@fly Hi Ulf, sorry for my delayed response.

The tone is everything. The sound. The quality. How the embouchure looks is of little importance to me. I've seen embouchures that look "terrible" yet the tone is perfect. There are exceptions of course. Also, hitting pedal C...there's tons of pros that don't even play pedal C yet are among the best in the industry. I wouldn't worry about it for a while. It is not the right time in my experience to worry about it. Focus on your playable range first, then down the line you can work up pedals. Because pedals don't work nearly as well when the playable range isn't in great shape.

I would suggest against setting the embouchure and then simply "pasting" it to the mouthpiece. This is because without the mouthpiece the embouchure is untethered, this is how I explain it. I'd like to encourage that you put the mouthpiece on your lips, and then form the embouchure and focus on TONE and cleanliness first.

I hear a lot of pitch fluctuation in your sound and some instability. The flexibility exercises are okay, but I'd like to hear them with a metronome and strict timing to see if this is possible. Then I could recommend some exercises depending on how it goes.

I hope that helps, and yes, posture is very important!

-Estela

Topic starter

Hi Estela,

It seems to work well with this embouchure to play pedal C.

I see that my posture is terrible. I have to work on that too.

/Ulf

🔥 Learn how to use the Arban Method for Trumpet • LIVE Workshop → June 1st 🔥

Maximize Your Trumpet Playing For Free

Download the THQ Warmup Guide to learn eye-opening tips and lessons that will take your playing to the next level.

Maximize Your Trumpet Playing For Free

Download the THQ Warmup Guide to learn eye-opening tips and lessons that will take your playing to the next level.