Execution of 8th fo...

Notifications
Clear all

😲 Use tags in your posts so everyone can find topics they're interested in! Learn about them here "Forum Basics" (<-- click here)!

[Solved] Execution of 8th followed by 16th notes.

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter

Hi Estela,

While re-reading Arban's Introduction Section(my copy page10) I was interested to read how Arban explained how 8th notes followed by 16th notes were to be executed, in-difference to how they are written and also the same remark was made when 8th notes, instead of preceding, follow the 16th notes. I have not seen this execution explanation anywhere else.

Arban does not appear to make the same statement when dotted 8th notes are followed by 16th notes.

Does this execution of the written rhythm interpretation only apply to his " First Studies" section?

Thanks

Edwin Michael

TrumpetHeadquarters 25/01/2021 6:03 pm

Hi Edwin, are you referring to separating the 8th notes from the 16th notes? As if there was a 16th rest between them?

-Estela

Topic Tags
3 Answers

@edwinoldham Ok, yes that is how you play the 8th followed by 16th notes in TECHNICAL STYLE music, marches, fanfares and other music that isn't lyrical. In music that's lyrical you would leave the 8th note long. For more on technical vs lyrical styles see lesson Intermediate 15.

-Estela

Topic starter

Hi Estela,

Yes to your question. 

However, not for the dotted 8th note, where no rest applies.

Edwin Michael

Topic starter

Hi, Again Estela,

Thanks for your reply. On re-playing your intermediate #15 video, the differences in the TECHNICAL and LYRICAL styles are now clearer to me. Arban's visual explanation, together with your video, supplement my query, as I have not previously seen it written as in Arban"s. Also, Arban's appears not to make reference to the differences between the two styles.  

Thanks again for your assistance.

Edwin Michael

TrumpetHeadquarters 27/01/2021 4:34 pm

Hi Edwin,

Most method books don't cover this topic or reference the styles. It's one of those things learned through osmosis through simply playing and listening, or through a teacher that makes it a point to teach the topic. Glad to help.

-Estela

🔥 Learn how to use the Arban Method for Trumpet • LIVE Workshop → June 1st 🔥

Maximize Your Trumpet Playing For Free

Download the THQ Warmup Guide to learn eye-opening tips and lessons that will take your playing to the next level.

Maximize Your Trumpet Playing For Free

Download the THQ Warmup Guide to learn eye-opening tips and lessons that will take your playing to the next level.