Feed back on embouc...

Notifications
Clear all

😲 Use tags in your posts so everyone can find topics they're interested in! Learn about them here "Forum Basics" (<-- click here)!

[Solved] Feed back on embouchure

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter

Hi - I’m returning to the trumpet after…well, I’ve had an on again off again relationship with the trumpet after high school. I played in my high school concert and jazz bands. Would like feed back on my embouchure. As far as mouth/teeth set up- I have an underbite.
Thanks and loving the lesions so far! -Joe 

Topic Tags
3 Answers

Hi Joe,

Welcome! Sorry for my delayed response, normally I reply much quicker!

The pictures look good and I see no horrendous trumpet laws being broken, but honestly, that doesn't mean much. Sometimes "funny" embouchures sounds great. I'd like to hear you play. Maybe upload a video with some long tones, nothing fancy just long tones and maybe a scale, or a half of one. Whatever you can play. The slower and simple the better. Then I can really give deeper insight.

Having an underbite isn't the end of the world, so don't worry too much. Let's see how things sound. I would't mind a picture of your smile either, so I can see the severity of the underbite 😬 We can always turn to bent mouthpieces down the road for your comfort if necessary. 

-Estela

Topic starter

Thanks! Here's a chromatic scale and pic of my underbite. Appreciate the feedback!

Hi Joe, thanks for that. Helps a ton. It seems your overbite is slight-moderate, nothing severe. The angle in which you hold the trumpet is almost parallel to the ground, leaning down a little, which is okay if that's comfortable. Usually, with severe overbites we would see the bell angled towards the ceiling, which is not necessarily a bad thing if the embouchure is balanced there. I also see your mouthpiece placement is rather low. This is due to the top lip being rather short (thin) and because of the overbite. Nothing wrong with that.

Tone: sounds pretty nice to me. It's warm and doesn't sounds forced. This is the first sign the embouchure is very likely just fine. 

Tonguing: this is where I noticed some chewing issues. Please refer to the tonguing video for some more guidance. I can see your jaw doing a slight chewing up-and-down motion when tonguing and that's not something we want. You can also practice tonguing with the training video.

Embouchure corners: I noticed you are smiling at bit as you go up the range. Avoid this. Avoid stretching the lips outward. Instead, leave the corners where they are, or bring them toward the center of the lips as if in a slight pucker and raise the tongue placement to an "ee" position. Please refer to the video on playing higher notes.

Keep working at it! Your tone is nice, which is the hardest part!

-Estela

Joseph Williams Topic starter 11/03/2022 8:36 pm

@trumpetheadquarters Thanks Estela! Appreciate the feedback and will work on it.

🔥 Learn how to use the Arban Method for Trumpet • LIVE Workshop → June 1st 🔥

Maximize Your Trumpet Playing For Free

Download the THQ Warmup Guide to learn eye-opening tips and lessons that will take your playing to the next level.

Maximize Your Trumpet Playing For Free

Download the THQ Warmup Guide to learn eye-opening tips and lessons that will take your playing to the next level.