How to form a trump...

Notifications
Clear all

😲 Use tags in your posts so everyone can find topics they're interested in! Learn about them here "Forum Basics" (<-- click here)!

[Solved] How to form a trumpet embouchure

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter

Hi Estela,

I'm still struggling with this topic.

In what position should the corners of the mouth be engaged? Perhaps in to the eye teeth?

Should the corners of the mouth be engaged at this spot all the time?

I have trouble going from a and b to middle c. I suppose that here is some kind of register break?

Do I solve this problem by changing the aperture size by changing my jaw position?

I have no problem with the low register including the peadal notes. Further no problem with c to g above the staff. The problem is when I go from low to high or high to low.

I have the same embouchure all the time. I don't change the position of the mouthpiece. I only change the tongue level and the size of the aperture.

Best Wishes

/Ulf

TrumpetHeadquarters 20/07/2020 9:28 pm

@fly

Hi Ulf,

If you don't mind please attach a picture or video of you playing so I can do my best to diagnose your issue and provide guidance. You can attach files by clicking on "Attach Files" below the comment box.

-Estela

FLY Topic starter 21/07/2020 8:35 am

Hi Estela,
I tried to lower the mouthpiece so that the rim of the mouthpiece is now just above the red fleshy part of the upper lip. And now it seems to work much better.
I have attached foto when I lip buzz, visulizer showing my new embouchure and mouthpiece buzzing.
/Ulf

3 Answers

@FLY, although it's impossible to tell without a video, your embouchure DOES look good 👍 If it continues to work well, the problem could have been you had the mouthpiece too low and the red fleshy part was under too much strain. Good job figuring this out!

FLY Topic starter 21/07/2020 4:28 pm

@trumpetheadquarters
Sorry Estela,
You got me wrong.
Before I had the moutpiece higher and now I have moved it down so the rim is just above the red of the lips. I'm now thinking that it is easier for me to play from high register to low register.
Before I have about 70% up and 30% down.
Now I have about 50% up and 50% down.
What will you recommend?

Don't forget to answer my question :
What position should the corners of the mouth be engaged (anchored)? Perhaps in to the eye teeth or what?
/Ulf

How long have you been playing Ulf. I had a good day yesterday which gained a bit of confidence but today I could not play one decent note. 
Phil.

@FLY 70/30 is often way too high. 50/50 is good!

Into the canines might work for you, but I don't use those terms since oral cavities and teeth formations vary greatly between players.

Simply put, the corners should engage in their natural position. Never up or pulled like in a smile. Simply rest your lips normally, and press your corners against your teeth. If things feel good and sound good I suggest you don't overthink the mechanics too much. 

Try your new embouchure for two weeks and go from there.

-Estela

🔥 Learn how to use the Arban Method for Trumpet • LIVE Workshop → June 1st 🔥

Maximize Your Trumpet Playing For Free

Download the THQ Warmup Guide to learn eye-opening tips and lessons that will take your playing to the next level.

Maximize Your Trumpet Playing For Free

Download the THQ Warmup Guide to learn eye-opening tips and lessons that will take your playing to the next level.