Int. Trumpet Warm u...

Notifications
Clear all

😲 Use tags in your posts so everyone can find topics they're interested in! Learn about them here "Forum Basics" (<-- click here)!

[Solved] Int. Trumpet Warm up and use of syllable

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter

First of all Estela thanks for your kind guidance. Following your advice seems to always come true.

In "Intermediate Trumpet Warm-up" there is a Warm down that I use to play. Is there any benefit if I ad a true pedal note to every phrase like:

C5-G4-E4-C4 + pedalG2-C4 etc. (Pedal note C3 is a false pedal, no resonance, so I skip this one.

I use the syllable "OH" for the pedal note and of course I check the pitch with a tuner.

And for G4, E4 and C4 I use the syllable "AH". For C5 I use the syllable "U". It seams that my chops is in the same position for both syllable "OH" and "U".

For me it seems that I have a register break at C5 and that it is possible for me to play up in the high register using the syllables "AY", "EE", "ISCH" and "S".

Best Wishes

Ulf

2 Answers

Hi Ulf, yes that is fine to add those you feel like they are beneficial. "False" pedals tones are also extremely beneficial and they are actually the pedal range that professional use in daily practice. We don't play the resonating pedal tones nearly as much. Why? Because false pedal tones require more work and focus, so it's good for training. All your syllables are good just remember to keep the air flowing freely as the tongue goes up to avoid a tight or close sound, and sharpness. 

-Estela

I aim to do my main warm up and techniques practice in the morning. I then often want play end of the afternoon and band practices are in the evening. What should you do as a 2nd pre play warm up? Thx

TrumpetHeadquarters 24/04/2023 3:09 pm

@iain-c I would suggest some Cichowicz flow studies, just group 1 and maybe 2 should do the trick for a quick re-warmup 🙂

-Estela

🔥 Learn how to use the Arban Method for Trumpet • LIVE Workshop → June 1st 🔥

Maximize Your Trumpet Playing For Free

Download the THQ Warmup Guide to learn eye-opening tips and lessons that will take your playing to the next level.

Maximize Your Trumpet Playing For Free

Download the THQ Warmup Guide to learn eye-opening tips and lessons that will take your playing to the next level.