Peel off Technique

Notifications
Clear all

😲 Use tags in your posts so everyone can find topics they're interested in! Learn about them here "Forum Basics" (<-- click here)!

Peel off Technique

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter

I remember that post where someone was talking about the peel off technique. Which made me curious what it was. Once I found out what it was I was curious if I could do it. I think I did it but it does not seem too useful to me. Charlie Porter who seems like a good trumpet player is not going the direction I want to go with my trumpet playing so I probably won’t be watching to many of his videos. I don’t know if other people should try it or not.Β 

1 Answer

Hi Roger!

Yes I think I remember that post. Charlie is a great player, but his videos are meant for advanced players honestly. Even his video on how to set the embouchure has been really problematic for a lot of my students, which obviously also has to do with new players trying to learn from YouTube with any guidance whatsoever. Don't get me wrong his videos are good, but I don't recommend them for beginners or even intermediate players.

The peel off technique in my experience with students is useless for beginners. For advanced players yes it can be helpful in specific circumstances, but I'm not sure to what extent it would be beneficial to spend time doing that vs just practicing on the horn.

-Estela

Roger Rheault Topic starter 17/03/2021 10:44 am

Thank you for your answer. In my opinion players would be far better off just having a teacher listen to their trumpet tone. A good teacher can just listen to the tone and tell you if you are right or not.

FLY 18/03/2021 8:31 am

Hi Roger and Estela,

I think that the so called "peel off technique" suggested by several trumpet players, for example Charlie Porter and Dennis Edelbrock, could be used to check the correct mouthpiece placement.

However I have found a better method that works for me.

The method is like this:

1. The mouthpiece and lips should be wet.

2. Lip buss the note G4 or C4.

3. While bussing, take the mouthpiece and your horn and place it gently very low on your lips. The start position of the upper rim should be on the red part of your lip.

4. Then move mouthpiece up until you get a nice sound with resonance. Now you have found your right optimal mouthpiece placement that works exclusively for you.

Please note that the upper mouthpiece rim must be above the red part of the lips when you finish the mouthpiece movement .

Best Wishes
Ulf

Roger Rheault Topic starter 19/03/2021 3:43 am

Hi Ulf
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this information. However I feel it might cause confusion without the guidance of a teacher. I would also be very careful taking lessons from someone who wants to change your mouthpiece placement in most cases they will end up doing more harm than good.

πŸ”₯ Learn how to use the Arban Method for Trumpet β€’ LIVE Workshop β†’ June 1st πŸ”₯

Maximize Your Trumpet Playing For Free

Download the THQ Warmup Guide to learn eye-opening tips and lessons that will take your playing to the next level.

Maximize Your Trumpet Playing For Free

Download the THQ Warmup Guide to learn eye-opening tips and lessons that will take your playing to the next level.