Production of sound

Notifications
Clear all

😲 Use tags in your posts so everyone can find topics they're interested in! Learn about them here "Forum Basics" (<-- click here)!

[Solved] Production of sound

10 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter

Hi Estela,

Today it is Day 1 practising my new embouchure.

I have practise a lot today so I'm really tired in my muscles round the mouth corners  and the muscles in my cheeks. Despite of this I will give it a try to do a short video showing my production of sound. It sounds horrible, I know, but I hope it wil be better with dayly practising.

Attached you find a video showing how I secure that my mouthpiece placement is the same all the time. I place the mouthpiece directly under the nose and then I move the mouthpiece down until the bottom lip drops in place. I breath through the nose so I thus secure that the embouchure isn't changing.

Attached you also find my production of sound Day1.

What do you think? What is the most effective way to practise?

Best Wishes

Ulf

Roger Rheault 29/11/2020 9:55 am

@fly
Good Job keep posting your progress I would love to hear how you are progressing

Topic Tags
8 Answers

Hi Ulf!

I'm glad to see that you are branching out and learning about the trumpet embouchure. What you are describing sounds good, but it's difficult for me to tell you to advance to the next level without hearing you play. For the intermediate lessons you have to be able to play all the sheet music from the beginner level well, all major scales, chromatic scales, Progressive Melodies for Beginners, the warmup level 0. If you try some intermediate lessons you will be able to tell if you ready for sure. Feel free to send some videos of the beginner repertoire and I'd be happy to take a listen 🙂

Great job so far!

-Estela

1. Embouchure looks good and the way you are placing the mouthpiece is fine. You can continue to do this until you feel comfortable that you don't need to anymore. 
  2. Breathing through the nose for now is fine too in order to set the new embouchure, but don't get used to it! You will have to go back to mouth breathing.
  3. The tone production is good too, you just need to develop your tone over time with daily practice of fundamentals.
  4. Lip slurs: make sure these are very slow, and unless the double pedals you are playing are helping in some way you can leave them out. You have to focus on CENTERING your sound, and the pedals won't help with that. Lip slurs should be slow, with a metronome, as marked in the sheet music.
  5. Practicing: I just finished a post on practicing to build endurance, check it out HERE. It has contains good tips for beginners to help you advance in a paced manner and not rushing.

Great job!

-Estela

FLY Topic starter 23/07/2020 6:20 pm

@trumpetheadquarters
Hi Estela,
It isn,t going so well with the new embouchure. Day 2 was realy depressing.

I now think that I will test the original Louis Maggio system instead. I am thinking about the whistle approach.
A fast and sure way of checking the proper position of the lips is as follows:
whistle
retain the forward position of the lips
with the index finger, push the center of the bottom lip up and behind the top lip so as to close the opening
place mouthpiece under nose
move down to 2/3 upper and 1/3 lower
keep the chin up
aim the bell of the horn slightly down
pump air
buzz down towards the cleft in the chin

Estela, what do you think about this method?

/Ulf

Hi Ulf, I know the Maggio system very well. As you can see my lessons are sprinkled with his methods. My main problem with Maggio is that 2/3 up and 1/3 down does NOT work well for the large majority of players, I'd say 85% or so don't do well with it. Nowadays, 50/50 is the most widely used and accepted ratio, and if you look closely at embouchures of leading players you will notice most are 50/50. Having said that, if it works for you then go for it. Keep in mind, embouchure changes ARE NOT MEANT TO WORK RIGHT AWAY. I cannot stress this enough. The biggest problem players face with changes is that they give up too soon. Keep me update on your progress 🙂

Topic starter

Hi Estela, long time no see.

Finally I have decided how my embouchure should look like.

I have studied a lot of different lessons by several teachers on the youtube chanel for example

Charlie Porter

Maggio system

Dennis Edelbrock

Vince DeMartino

and of course Estela Aragon

I have come to the following conclusions:

1. I form the embouchure according to Estelas recommendation. That is, I press the lips and the mouth corners slightly against the teeth.
  2. I place the mouthpiece so the rim is just above the upper part of the red lip.
  3. I lower the jaw to inhale and wet the lips with the tongue and of course also to form a aperture.
  4. If I check with the visualizer after this actions I have about 55 % upper lip and 45 % lower lip.
  5. When I check the airstream i find out that I'm definitely a down stream player.
  6. I have noticed that when I ascend to the high register (above middle C) I move the mouthpiece rim and lips together a tiny bit up. When I descend the direction is opposite.

Estela, what do you think could I go for it now and start practicing your intermediate lessons using my new embouchure? 🤗 

Best Wishes

Ulf

Topic starter

Hi Estela,

After 40 years break from trumpet playing and now 1 month of practising with my new embouchure, I'm ready for an exam. to see if it is ok for me to start  working with the intermediate lessons.

Estela, what sheet music from the beginner lessons do you want me to play?

Best Wishes

/Ulf

@fly
Hi Ulf, exam? There are no “exams” per day, on THQ but if you want to know what you need to be able to move see the following:

• all 12 major scales and arpeggios
  • all sheet music from beginner course including the warmup level 1
  • clean single tonguing

Let me know if that’s what you were looking for. Great job!!

-Estela

Topic starter

Ok, I see. It is up to me to decide when I am good enough to start practicing "intermediate lessons".

No help from Estela.

Best Wishes

/Ulf

Ulf, this is a self-paced course and yes, you continue with the lessons at your own discretion while I provide guidance on any topic you may need along the way. In my private face-to-face studio I do many exams and checkpoints, but the online course is not the same. You can however request a consultation at this page here and we can get together to evaluate your progress in a face-to-face setting. 

https://www.trumpetheadquarters.com/private-trumpet-lessons/

-Estela

🔥 Learn how to use the Arban Method for Trumpet • LIVE Workshop → June 1st 🔥

Maximize Your Trumpet Playing For Free

Download the THQ Warmup Guide to learn eye-opening tips and lessons that will take your playing to the next level.

Maximize Your Trumpet Playing For Free

Download the THQ Warmup Guide to learn eye-opening tips and lessons that will take your playing to the next level.