Notifications
Clear all

😲 Use tags in your posts so everyone can find topics they're interested in! Learn about them here "Forum Basics" (<-- click here)!

[Solved] How to memorize songs?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter

How do I memorize songs?

1 Answer

Hi Larry,

Here are steps you can take to start memorizing a song:

1) Learn the key for the song you want to learn.
2) Learn the scale for that key and memorize it.
3) Start with memorizing 4 bars, or even less if need be. Have the sheet music nearby, but don’t look. Try to play the 4 bars, if you make a mistake peek at the music for the spot you missed, then again don’t look and try again. Keep doing this until you can play the 4 bars correctly 3 times in a row. 
4) Add another bar and repeat step 3. 

Slowly you can do it. Most people just try too much too fast. Let me know how it goes.

- Estela

Larry Peltz Topic starter 07/06/2023 5:11 pm

I got the first four bars with eyes shut. Now I want to add bar 5. It's funny how the mind works cuz I know all the words and can sing it too, But when I play it the words vanish because my entire focus and effort is on memorizing the notes on the trumpet.
My mind cannot hold both the words and playing the note corresponding to the word. Example: I know the first words, The Falling Leaves, But if I'm playing it I don't think if the words, only
E, F#, G, C. That's why it's so hard for me to memorize the notes.

TrumpetHeadquarters 09/06/2023 2:52 pm

Yup! Just keep adding one measure at a time and you will get it!

🔥 Learn how to use the Arban Method for Trumpet • WATCH NOW 🔥

Maximize Your Trumpet Playing For Free

Download the THQ Warmup Guide to learn eye-opening tips and lessons that will take your playing to the next level.

Maximize Your Trumpet Playing For Free

Download the THQ Warmup Guide to learn eye-opening tips and lessons that will take your playing to the next level.