Notifications
Clear all

😲 Use tags in your posts so everyone can find topics they're interested in! Learn about them here "Forum Basics" (<-- click here)!

[Solved] Silver Plated Trumpet Maintenance

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter

Hi. Could anyone tell me the best way to regularly polish my silver plated Yamaha trumpet please? Currently I use a Denis Wick Silver Cleaning Cloth which generally is OK but can be hard work sometimes. Any advice would be welcomed thanks.

4 Answers

What Roger recommend works well. I myself use a dry cloth. These two are my favorites:

https://www.ultrapureoils.com/product-page/ultra-pure-large-silver-polishing-cloth-blue

https://www.amazon.com/Blitz-303-Metal-Care-Cloth/dp/B002Q0WT8S/ref=sr_1_17?crid=2SJ5W5AVTD7P&dchild=1&keywords=silver+instrument+polishing+cloth&qid=1615226077&sprefix=silver+instrument%2Caps%2C200&sr=8-17

I find that first one lasts longer!

Maintaining silver is a real pain, but if you wipe it down quickly after every use you avoid most of the brown that shows up over time. Gotta love silver trumpets! 😂

-Estela

There are a few options out there first there is the daily cleaning cloth they are dry and you basically just wipe the trumpet maybe a little light polishing. I actually use one that I bought at a jewelry store. There are also clothes that are wet with polishing solutions they are generally just used once in a while and many companies make them. You can buy them at music stores or jewelry stores.

Steve Smith-Perkins Topic starter 08/03/2021 9:26 am

Thanks Roger. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. As mentioned, I use a cloth (Denis Wick) but just wondered if anyone used or recommended a silver polish etc?

I was assuming you were talking about a cloth that was dry. They do sell clothes that already have silver polish on them they are wet I can’t find anywhere online that sells them but here is a photo of some options for silver polish that you can put on a microfiber cloth and then polish your trumpet. These ones happen to be from Dillion’s music but any music store, jewelry store or hardware store should have something similar. I have found brand does not matter I used some polish from the jewelry department of Walmart before and it was just as good as the stuff from a music store. I have also seen music stores selling polish that was clearly marketed for silver jewelry. Hopefully this helps 

Topic starter

Thanks Roger & Estella. I was very wary about using anything that may damage the silver plating. I feel happier now. You have both reassured me with your recommendations. 

🔥 Learn how to use the Arban Method for Trumpet • LIVE Workshop → June 1st 🔥

Maximize Your Trumpet Playing For Free

Download the THQ Warmup Guide to learn eye-opening tips and lessons that will take your playing to the next level.

Maximize Your Trumpet Playing For Free

Download the THQ Warmup Guide to learn eye-opening tips and lessons that will take your playing to the next level.