Notifications
Clear all

😲 Use tags in your posts so everyone can find topics they're interested in! Learn about them here "Forum Basics" (<-- click here)!

[Solved] What are all the Dorian Mode Scales, Ionian, Doric,Phrigian,Lydian, Myxolydian,Aolian, Locrian?

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter

1. אָנֹכִי ה' אֱלֹקיךָ אֲשֶׁר הוֹצֵאתִיךָ מֵאֶרֶץ מִצְרַיִם מִבֵּית עֲבָדִים7
  2. לֹא יִהְיֶה לְךָ אֱלֹהִים אֲחֵרִים עַל פָּנָי לֹא תַעֲשֶׂה לְךָ פֶסֶל וְכָל תְּמוּנָה אֲשֶׁר בַּשָּׁמַיִם מִמַּעַל וַאֲשֶׁר בָּאָרֶץ מִתָּחַת וַאֲשֶׁר בַּמַּיִם מִתַּחַת לָאָרֶץ לֹא תִשְׁתַּחֲוֶה לָהֶם וְלֹא תָעָבְדֵם כִּי אָנֹכִי ה' אֱלֹקיךָ אֵל קַנָּא פֹּקֵד עֲוֹן אָבֹת עַל בָּנִים עַל שִׁלֵּשִׁים וְעַל רִבֵּעִים לְשׂנְאָי וְעֹשֶׂה חֶסֶד לַאֲלָפִים לְאֹהֲבַי וּלְשֹׁמְרֵי מִצְוֹתָי
  3. לֹא תִשָּׂא אֶת שֵׁם ה' אֱלֹקיךָ לַשָּׁוְא כִּי לֹא יְנַקֶּה ה' אֵת אֲשֶׁר יִשָּׂא אֶת שְׁמוֹ לַשָּׁוְא
  4. זָכוֹר אֶת יוֹם הַשַּׁבָּת לְקַדְּשׁוֹ שֵׁשֶׁת יָמִים תַּעֲבֹד וְעָשִׂיתָ כָּל מְלַאכְתֶּךָ וְיוֹם הַשְּׁבִיעִי שַׁבָּת לַה' אֱלֹקיךָ לֹא תַעֲשֶׂה כָל מְלָאכָה אַתָּה וּבִנְךָ וּבִתֶּךָ עַבְדְּךָ וַאֲמָתְךָ וּבְהֶמְתֶּךָ וְגֵרְךָ אֲשֶׁר בִּשְׁעָרֶיךָ כִּי שֵׁשֶׁת יָמִים עָשָׂה ה' אֶת הַשָּׁמַיִם וְאֶת הָאָרֶץ אֶת הַיָּם וְאֶת כָּל אֲשֶׁר בָּם וַיָּנַח בַּיּוֹם הַשְּׁבִיעִי עַל כֵּן בֵּרַךְ ה' אֶת יוֹם הַשַּׁבָּת וַיְקַדְּשֵׁהוּ
  5. כַּבֵּד אֶת אָבִיךָ וְאֶת אִמֶּךָ לְמַעַן יַאֲרִכוּן יָמֶיךָ עַל הָאֲדָמָה אֲשֶׁר ה' אֱלֹקיךָ נֹתֵן לָךְ
  6. לֹא תִרְצַח
  7. לֹא תִנְאָף
  8. לֹא תִגְנֹב
  9. לֹא תַעֲנֶה בְרֵעֲךָ עֵד שָׁקֶר
  10. לֹא תַחְמֹד בֵּית רֵעֶךָ לֹא תַחְמֹד אֵשֶׁת רֵעֶךָ וְעַבְדּוֹ וַאֲמָתוֹ וְשׁוֹרוֹ וַחֲמֹרוֹ וְכֹל אֲשֶׁר לְרֵעֶךָ

2 Answers

Hi Larry,

Your message seems to be in another language, but I can answer your question.

There are SO MANY music topics that it was impossible for me to cover everything, but I do plan on adding it and many other things in the future. At this time my focus is on finishing the training videos. You can check out the newest one right here:

https://www.trumpetheadquarters.com/trumpet-lessons-online/chromatic-patterns-training

As far are WHAT modes are, they are scale patterns with distinct sounds. We use them in the manner as all scales; for drills, improvisation, ear training and general music theory knowledge.

Best,

Estela

Larry Peltz Topic starter 03/06/2023 6:47 am

@trumpetheadquarters
Estela, You're correct to say my query sounded like a foreign language because the names of the Dorian Mode Scales are all based on the Greek words: The Dorian Mode Ionian scale begins on C and is a C major scale. After that follow the other six scales, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian (natural minor) and Locrain,
However I'm not sure about the accidentals in each of these mode scales.
An on-line jazz teacher, Jeff Lewis says, for example, the Phrygian Mode scale begins on E , and is an Eminor 7 scale. So has F# and C#, but D natural,
I think.
I'm trying to find the accidental for all the 7 modes scales. You know?

TrumpetHeadquarters 04/06/2023 8:45 pm

Hi Larry,

No, I am referring to your title. Those are clearly the mode names, which I am very familiar with. What I meant was that you literally wrote your message in a foreign language. It looks like Hebrew.

Explanation on modes:
For every key signature, there are 7 modes: Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, and Locrian. All modes in that key signature use the same notes, but they start on different ones.

The image attached should help understand that concept. If you have more questions just let me know!

Larry Peltz Topic starter 07/06/2023 4:56 pm

Hi Teacher! I'm not at all certain how a message in Hebrew got mixed up with my question to you about Modes. I do read some things in Hebrew. Somehow something from Facebook got inserted into my message but I have no clue how that happened. So, yeah thank you for continuing on to explain to me how the Modes work. So that's a bit overwhelming that for each (I guess) major key signature there are the seven Modes. For 12 major keys seven Dorian Modes. So 84 different mode scales?
And how, for example, does the D scale become the Dm7. Is that because D Major has two sharps, F# and C#, But the Dorian Dminor has a F natural?
I feel I'm missing one piece of the puzzle for it all to make sense.But your explanation is the best I've seen so far!
Thank you for persisting in unraveling this mystery for me.

Hi Larry,

I feel like you might be getting ahead of yourself. Let's start with a major scale, let's do C major because its the easiest.

C major of course is: C D E F G A B C

C natural minor is: C D Eb F G Ab Bb C

C minor (Cm) triad is: C Eb G

C minor 7 (Cm7)(C-7) is the same thing as Dorian mode in the key of Bb because it has two flats: C D Eb F G A Bb C.

TrumpetHeadquarters 09/06/2023 2:50 pm

I think it would help you a lot to understand the minor scale structure too, which I explain in this lesson; https://www.trumpetheadquarters.com/intermediate-trumpet-lessons-online-course/major-minor-scales/

🔥 Learn how to use the Arban Method for Trumpet • LIVE Workshop → June 1st 🔥

Maximize Your Trumpet Playing For Free

Download the THQ Warmup Guide to learn eye-opening tips and lessons that will take your playing to the next level.

Maximize Your Trumpet Playing For Free

Download the THQ Warmup Guide to learn eye-opening tips and lessons that will take your playing to the next level.