What song are you c...

Notifications
Clear all

😲 Use tags in your posts so everyone can find topics they're interested in! Learn about them here "Forum Basics" (<-- click here)!

What song are you currently learning

13 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
Roger Rheault
(@roger1982)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

What songs are you currently learning.

Edwin Michael Oldham
(@edwinoldham)
Eminent Member

Hi Roger, 

Not too complicated.

Working on: 1.Basin Street Blues, Spencer Williams. Bb Major Key

2. Stella by Starlight, Chet Baker.  A major.

What are you currently learning?

Regards

Edwin Michael

ReplyQuote
Roger Rheault
(@roger1982)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I am playing some Christmas songs and Stars and Stripes Forever and other random songs 

ReplyQuote
Edwin Michael Oldham
(@edwinoldham)
Eminent Member

Hi Roger,

Good time to learn Christmas songs. Thanks for your response.

Regards

Edwin Michael

ReplyQuote
Roger Rheault
(@roger1982)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Now that Christmas is over I can't really play Christmas music anymore. Any suggestions on what kind of music I should play.

ReplyQuote
TrumpetHeadquarters
(@trumpetheadquarters)
Admin Admin

@roger1982 I think the Getchell book would be great for your level. If you want something more popular the instrumental movie solos for trumpet has a ton of themes, ranging from Beginner 2 to intermediate 2.

Getchell 1

Movie Solos

Buy the Book (affiliate link) 👉 https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/ultimate-movie-instrumental-solos-sheet-music/19811483?aff_id=509563

ReplyQuote
Roger Rheault
(@roger1982)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I will order them and try them out. Thanks for the suggestions

ReplyQuote
Roger Rheault
(@roger1982)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I will order them and try them out. Thanks for the suggestions

ReplyQuote
Doug Henderson
(@dougishere)
Eminent Member

Hi Roger,

I have a LOT of song books - I'm trying to stay away from them for a couple more weeks and work more on the fundamentals in the beginning lesson bracket.  I started playing in the 1960's in Jr High, and got to be second section leader in High School but I quit in 72.  Right now I'm trying to unlearn some old habits.  In the Success Begins With A Good Breath lesson I had a couple of aha moments.  I have always struggled with producing a clear, laser sweet sound and I think breathing has been a problem. Besides In and Out, Estela talked about Up and Down breaths instead of sucking in from the sides of your mouth.  That was a big Aha moment for me; I have always been a side breather.  New a bugler in Scouts back then that sucked a fly in while performing for a big group.  Just had to swallow and keep playing...

ReplyQuote
Roger Rheault
(@roger1982)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I actually have a whole box of song books also but I am willing to try something new. I spend sometime working on fundamentals then I play music just for fun. I actually started playing the trumpet in the sixth grade which must of been the mid 90s I then played trumpet all the way until I graduated from High School in 2001 then I joined the Navy and did not play the trumpet again until 2010 when I was on shore duty in South Carolina. Someone convinced me to start playing again and play in church. Then a few years later I moved to Guam and ended up playing third trumpet for the official band of Guam we had a very busy playing schedule. Then I moved to Mississippi and played second part trumpet for a band there we had a much less demanding playing schedule. while in Mississippi I also played in church and was also I taps bugler for a veterans group and I was the bugler on Keesler Air Force Base for the 9-11 ceremony in 2019. Then I moved to Japan where I am still in the Navy I will be retiring in 2022. I did not play the trumpet much at all in 2020 I am trying to get back into it.

ReplyQuote
Doug Henderson
(@dougishere)
Eminent Member

Here is picture of my songbooks.  I need to pick a couple of things and roll with those.  Still working on holding, breathing, buzzing, scales ... when I feel less embarrassed I will try posting a short video

ReplyQuote
Doug Henderson
(@dougishere)
Eminent Member

@roger1982 - cool background on your experience!  And thank you for your service, too. I am glad to see you getting your trumpet sashay back in the groove!

Doug H

ReplyQuote
Roger Rheault
(@roger1982)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

It is my honor to serve. I am finding it kind of tricky to get back into the groove with my crazy schedule. I will do my best to make some progress.

ReplyQuote