Notifications
Clear all

😲 Use tags in your posts so everyone can find topics they're interested in! Learn about them here "Forum Basics" (<-- click here)!

[Solved] Dylan practicing his Single Tonguing

1 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter

Here is a video from a practice earlier in the week.  Dylan has a new song from his band teacher with lots of fast 16th notes so we watched your video and I put together this Exercise for him to work on daily. 

https://youtu.be/PIgqH3lxGkE

This topic was modified 1 year ago by Steven Woyce
1 Answer

Hi Steve! Here are my notes on this video:

1) He is keeping rhythm extremely well.

2) The pronunciation is clear on my end, so well done!

3) Keep going by increasing the tempo 1-2 clicks every 1-3 days.

4) Once or twice a week go for the marathon. Start at a comfortable tempo and play the more difficult part of this exercise, then go up by 1-2 clicks...and keep going until it's too fast. This is a great exercise to test limits, boost confidence and play int he sandbox.

SIDE NOTE: I noticed that he plays in the red (from what I can see, but maybe his upper lip is very long, in which case disregard), which is ok for a very low percentage of trumpet players. For most it is troublesome as range and demand increases. This is something to keep an eye out for if problems develop. It is possible that Dylan's embouchure simply works well this way. His teeth formation has a lot to do with it as well. If he has a large overbite for example, he will be comfortable playing this way. So, somethings to watch out for that spell trouble as he progresses: upper notes are airy, generally airy tone, upper range is very tiring leaving the upper lip sore and raw. I had a student that played like that forever and honestly he sounded very good, then I changed his embouchure and he got WAY better eventually getting into a college trumpet program. So you never know, just something to be aware of. Finally, a bent mouthpiece is a good option for this downwards angle so he can point the horn less to the floor more to the audience. You can search bent mouthpieces online for a look.

-Estlela

🔥 Learn how to use the Arban Method for Trumpet • LIVE Workshop → June 1st 🔥

Maximize Your Trumpet Playing For Free

Download the THQ Warmup Guide to learn eye-opening tips and lessons that will take your playing to the next level.

Maximize Your Trumpet Playing For Free

Download the THQ Warmup Guide to learn eye-opening tips and lessons that will take your playing to the next level.