What Child Is This?...

Notifications
Clear all

😲 Use tags in your posts so everyone can find topics they're interested in! Learn about them here "Forum Basics" (<-- click here)!

[Solved] What Child Is This? Draft

13 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello Estela,

Attached draft audio of “What Child Is This?” that I recorded the other day. The accompaniment is from Alfred Music “Easy Christmas Carols”.

There are a few choppy notes but some notes seem to have a glimpse of color, texture. What are good practices to help develop vibrato?

Your thoughts, feedback for improvement will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Matt

2 Answers

Hi Matt,

Ronald makes some good points, which I won't repeat. There's nothing like learning from others!

I'm gonna go back to basics on this:

1. Notes
  2. Rhythms
  3. Intonation

If feel like you are trying to add more layers of difficulty like vibrato and style when the basics aren't yet solidified, which will only make things more frustrating. Slow and steady really does win the race!

Notes: the notes are there so you are good to go in that aspect.

Rhythms: as the listener I heard that you didn't really KNOW the rhythms well. Correct me if I'm wrong since I am only listening to a recording, but it sounds as though you are playing the rhythms half by ear and half by reading. I say this because the entrances were early/late several times, and the last entire section was 2 beats off. For me as a teacher it is supremely important that my students understand rhythms, because copying will only get you so far. Let me know how confident you feel about the rhythms and the reading in general for this piece and we can go from there. (sheet music would be great next time)

Intonation: really pay attention to the ends of phrases when you listen back to your recording. There were many flat notes, which makes you tired and trips the listener. If I could see the sheet music I would be able to point out to you the "trouble" notes. Intonation is tricky on trumpet, but the basics are:

1. Low D is sharp, pull out the 3rd
  2. Low Db is VERY sharp, pull out the 3rd a lot
  3. 4th line D is flat, manipulate it down, aim low, do not use any slides to fix this
  4. Low Ab is horribly flat, manipulate it down is you are able, if not don't even worry about it for now

Let me know if you have any questions. Maybe we should do a private consult so I can set you on the right path for rhythms and clarify questions you may have.

-Estela

Matthew Taubman Matthew Taubman Topic starter 10/12/2022 2:10 pm

@trumpetheadquarters Hello Estela,
Attached is the sheet music for the piece. Thank you for the feedback. Not playing in rhythm and timing seems to be a continuous challenge for me. Yes to scheduling a private consultation - that would be very much appreciated & helpful.

Thank you,
Matt

Matthew Taubman Matthew Taubman Topic starter 19/12/2022 2:17 am

@trumpetheadquarters
Hello Estela,
I continued working on the song, hopefully with some improvement. Attached audio without the piano accompaniment. The song seems well suited as a trumpet solo. Hopefully notes do not sound tired, weak. Metronome is set at 104.

If you can review, that would be appreciated.

TrumpetHeadquarters TrumpetHeadquarters 19/12/2022 5:28 pm

Hi Matt,

Good job. Let's break this up so we can better focus on specific sections. Please send a recording of measures 9 to 24 with the pickup. WATCH OUT for the timing of the eighth notes. Every one of them should be played on the + of the beat, like on the upbeat, or the second half of the beat. Right now you are playing them either too early, as in too close to the previous downbeat, or too late, as in too close to the following down beat. Let's try it and we can go from there!

Howdy Matt!

You have some lovely sounds in your rendition. Does the Alfred Music recordings have a recording of a trumpet playing the song with the accompaniment? If so, listen and match and play along with the trumpet recording. Listen to a professional singer singing the song and match the style and phrasing.

To get rid of some of the choppiness, try slurring the phrases. When you are comfortable with that, lightly tongue using legato tonguing or "du" tonguing. "Du" tonguing is used for lyrical or singing style.

Find out more about tonging - Intermediate Trumpet, Phase Two, Lesson 2.

https://www.trumpetheadquarters.com/intermediate-trumpet-lessons-online-course/articulation-pronunciation/

Also, see Style - Intermediate Trumpet, Phase Two, Lesson 5.

Vibrato - Intermediate Trumpet, Phase Two, Lesson 8.

https://www.trumpetheadquarters.com/intermediate-trumpet-lessons-online-course/vibrato/

I hope this helps. Please post an update.

Ronald

Matthew Taubman Matthew Taubman Topic starter 10/12/2022 2:15 pm

@beaker
Hello Ronald,
Thank you very much for your thoughtful feedback and pointers. That was nice of you. I’ll be sure to watch the THQ lessons you mentioned.

Thank you,
Matt

NEW YEARS SALE • SAVE 25% • USE CODE: NY25 • ENDS 1/4

Maximize Your Trumpet Playing For Free

Download the THQ Warmup Guide to learn eye-opening tips and lessons that will take your playing to the next level.