How to get better t...

Notifications
Clear all

😲 Use tags in your posts so everyone can find topics they're interested in! Learn about them here "Forum Basics" (<-- click here)!

How to get better tonguing

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter

I found some of my old band music and tried playing it I made some mistakes. Any advice on how to get better tonguing.

Topic Tags
1 Answer

Nice job! Tonguing is a technique that will get better over time as you gain control over the tongue muscle and as you learn the balance between air and and tongue. I have lessons on tonguing in the course and you really just have to follow them and work on the sheet music provided. As a beginner your priority should be in fundamentals and technique development, as you muscles get stronger you will gain more control in several aspects of your playing. Try not to overthink and analyze every tiny thing you hear 🙂

Side note: experiment with loosening up the lip INSIDE the mouthpiece. It sounds a bit tight, meaning the lips are too taught or too stretched. Make a SMALL chance and if you notice improvement in tone then roll with it for a couple weeks. If you notice anything, then don't worry about it.

-Estela

Roger Rheault Topic starter 04/12/2020 4:15 am

@trumpetheadquarters
I was thinking I was a bit tight also I will try loosing up. I was using a practice mute and I think it messed up my tone. I was worried about the neighbors hearing me but then I decided it is okay to be loud during the day.

TrumpetHeadquarters 04/12/2020 3:20 pm

Oh yea, a practice mute will 100% mess you up if used daily!
-Estela

🔥 Learn how to use the Arban Method for Trumpet • LIVE Workshop → June 1st 🔥

Maximize Your Trumpet Playing For Free

Download the THQ Warmup Guide to learn eye-opening tips and lessons that will take your playing to the next level.

Maximize Your Trumpet Playing For Free

Download the THQ Warmup Guide to learn eye-opening tips and lessons that will take your playing to the next level.